With $17.4 million on Friday and $31.3 million on Saturday, Dr. Seuss' The Lorax is off to an incredible star. According to Universal, here's what the animated flick will accomplish this weekend:
• Highest non-Sequel Animated/Family film opening (besting THE INCREDIBLES @ $70.5 million)
• Biggest opening weekend of 2012 (besting THE VOW @ $41.2 million)
• Biggest opening for a Universal Animated film (besting DESPICABLE ME @ $56.4 million)
• 4TH biggest Universal opener of all time (besting THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM @ $69.3 million)
• Biggest 2012 weekend opening for a Universal film (besting SAFE HOUSE @$40.2 million)
• Biggest opening for a Chris Meledandri film (besting ICE AGE: THE MELTDOWN @ $68 million)
• Biggest opening for a Chris Renaud film (besting DESPICABLE ME @ $56.4 million)
• Biggest opening weekend for a film based on a Dr. Suess book (besting Universal's own GRINCH STOLE CRHISTMAS @ $55.1 million)
The audience breakdown for The Lorax is 68% kids 12 and under along with their parents and 57% female. Word-of-mouth is strong thanks to a 78% approval rating from more than 13,700 Flixster users.
Project X also exceeded expectations this weekend. The Warner Bros. release managed $8.170 million on Friday and $7.640 million on Saturday. A 67% approval rating on Flixster from nearly 9,000 users indicates that word-of-mouth is mixed. The audience breakdown is 58% male and 67% under 25.
Domestic comparison data:
Jan. 1 to March 4, 2012: $1,822,000,000*
Jan. 1 to March 4, 2011:$1,477,000,000
Total increase: $345,000,000, +23.3%*
March 2 to March 4, 2012: $170,000,000*
March 4 to March 6, 2011: $134,100,000
Total increase: $36,000,000, +27%*
Additional reporting by Daniel Garris.