Disney reports Tomorrowland posted a solid 22 percent increase from opening day to $11.84 million on Saturday. They estimate this will give the film the weekend edge for first place with $32.159 million for the three-day frame, and $40.707 million over the four-day weekend. IMAX receipts will account for an estimated $5 million of the four-day opening, while Disney reports a near-even split in audience genders. 61 percent of the audience were adults, while 30 percent were families, and 9 percent were teenagers.
Universal reports that Pitch Perfect 2 increased 14 percent from Friday to earn an estimated $11.1 million on Saturday. The studio estimates the smash hit sequel will tally $30.3 million for a second place finish over the three-day frame, giving it $117.8 million in the bank through the end of Sunday. The studio also projects a $37.9 million four-day extended weekend.
George Miller's Mad Max: Fury Road jumped 33 percent from Friday to earn an estimated $9.01 million yesterday. From there, Warner Bros. estimates a three-day haul of $23.885 million, which would give it $87.315 million in total through the end of Sunday. The studio did not provide a four-day weekend estimate at the time of this story's publishing, but BoxOffice projects that figure will land around $29.7 million.
Avengers: Age of Ultron moved up to fourth place as it added another $8.31 million on Saturday. Disney estimates the Marvel sequel will tally $20.895 million for the three-day weekend, giving it $404.065 million in the domestic bank through Sunday's end. The studio projects $26.789 million for the four-day frame.
Fox and MGM's Poltergeist remake slid 21 percent from opening day to $7.375 million as it capped off the top five on Saturday. The studios' official estimate for the three-day weekend is $23.0 million, although they did not provide a four-day projection at the time of publishing. BoxOffice's four-day projection is $28.2 million.
Meanwhile, Far From the Madding Crowd jumped 45 percent from Friday's gross to $0.883 million from 865 locations on Saturday. Fox's three-day estimate is $2.28 million.
Check back tomorrow for updated three-day and four-day estimates from the studios.
Studio Weekend Estimates
1. Tomorrowland ($32.16 million 3-day / $40.71 million 4-day)
2. Pitch Perfect 2 ($30.3 million / $37.9 million)
3. Mad Max: Fury Road ($23.9 million / $29.7 million*)
4. Poltergeist ($23.0 million / $28.2 million*)
5. Avengers: Age of Ultron ($20.9 million / $26.8 million)
6. Hot Pursuit ($3.48 million / $4.2 million*)
7. Far from the Madding Crowd ($2.28 million / $3.0 million*)
8. Furious 7 ($2.1 million / $2.6 million)
9. Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2 ($1.755 million / $2.225 million)
10. Home ($1.68 million / $2.25 million*)
11. The Age of Adaline ($1.45 million / $1.86 million*)
* = denotes BoxOffice's projection