Long Range Forecast: 'Star Trek Into Darkness'
Featured Stories - on March 23, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
This weekend, Star Trek Into Darkness is at last added to our Long Range Forecast. The highly anticipated sequel from J.J. Abrams is currently scheduled to open domestically on Friday, May 17 after debuting in IMAX theaters on Wednesday, May 15.
Star Trek Into Darkness
- 2009's Star Trek successfully re-launched the franchise with a domestic gross of $257.7 million and was very well received in the process.
- Selling more tickets than any previous Trek movie, the 2009 reboot expanded the appeal of the series to general audiences in a way the series had never seen before.
- Will have the added advantage of being in 3D this time around.
- As a sequel to a franchise re-starter, there should be significantly more opening weekend demand this time around.
- Early marketing for the film has gone over very well.
- As if he or the film need it, J.J. Abrams may bring this even more widespread exposure thanks to the already-brewing interest in his next directing gig: Star Wars: Episode VII.
- The crowded May schedule. The film opens two weeks after Iron Man 3 and one week before Fast & Furious 6 and The Hangover Part III, which should lead to additional front-loading. Word of mouth for all of these films will be pivotal.
- There is the possibility that admission levels may not expand very much over those of the first film (see Iron Man 2 for a comparison), especially if there are less repeat viewings this time around.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include G.I. Joe: Retaliation, The Host, Tyler Perry's Temptation, Scary Movie 5, and 42.
Check out our predictions for Star Trek Into Darkness and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Star Trek Into Darkness||May 17, 2013||Paramount
|Tyler Perry Presents Peeples||May 10, 2013||Lionsgate
|The Great Gatsby (2013)||May 10, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Iron Man 3||May 3, 2013||Disney
|Pain and Gain||Apr 26, 2013||Paramount
|The Big Wedding||Apr 26, 2013||Lionsgate
|Oblivion (2013)||Apr 19, 2013||Universal
|42 (2013)||Apr 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Scary Movie 5||Apr 12, 2013||Weinstein / Dimension
|Jurassic Park 3D||Apr 5, 2013||Universal
|Evil Dead||Apr 5, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|G.I. Joe: Retaliation
The Host (2013)
|Mar 28, 2013
Mar 29, 2013
|Tyler Perry's Temptation||Mar 29, 2013||Lionsgate
* = 3-day weekend (Fri-Sun)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.