Weekend Predictions: 'Evil Dead' & 'Jurassic Park 3D'
Featured Stories - on April 03, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Kicking off April are two films whose box office histories couldn't be much different: the remake of the cult classic Evil Dead and the 3D re-release of Jurassic Park--once the highest grossing film of all-time.
- Online buzz has been strong for several weeks.
- The fans of the original franchise will be turning out after years of demand for a follow-up/remake.
- Texas Chainsaw 3D, and 2010's A Nightmare on Elm Street, proved that horror remakes can still break out.
- Will have to rely on bringing out a slightly wider range of horror fans than the niche audience of the old movies.
- The film is nowhere to be found on Fandango's Top 5 sellers as of Wednesday afternoon.
Jurassic Park 3D
- The IMAX release and strong marketing campaign could help make this an attractive option for families looking to indulge in nostalgia.
- The film is currently second on Fandango's list of best sellers today.
- 3D re-releases generally haven't fared well at the domestic box office over the last year-and-a-half.
- With the movie's Blu-ray having already released, will audiences care to double down and pay movie theater prices for it again?
- Social network tracking has been lackluster.
Check out our predictions for these films and the remainder of the weekend's top 11 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Evil Dead||Apr 5, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|The Croods||Mar 22, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|G.I. Joe: Retaliation||Mar 28, 2013||Paramount
|Jurassic Park 3D||Apr 5, 2013||Universal
|Tyler Perry's Temptation||Mar 29, 2013||Lionsgate
|Olympus Has Fallen||Mar 22, 2013||FilmDistrict
|Oz: The Great and Powerful||Mar 8, 2013||Disney
|The Host (2013)||Mar 29, 2013||Open Road
|The Call||Mar 15, 2013||Sony / TriStar
|Admission||Mar 22, 2013||Focus
|Spring Breakers||Mar 15, 2013||A24
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.