Long Range Forecast: 'The Butler', 'jOBS', 'Kick-Ass 2', & 'Paranoia'
Featured Stories - on June 21, 2013 by BOXOFFICE Staff
Four new titles have been added to our Long Range Forecast this week. The Butler, jOBS, Kick-Ass 2, and Paranoia are currently scheduled to open in wide release on Friday, August 16.
- The large ensemble cast.
- Historical dramas like 42, Lincoln, and The Help have been on a hot streak lately.
- A biographical drama could be just what adult audiences are looking for after a blockbuster-packed summer.
- Not all historical dramas hit the box office sweet spot.
- Won't have Oscar season to boost receipts, ala Lincoln and Lee Daniels' own Precious.
- Movie fans are already mocking the stunt casting of presidents in the film. John Cusack as Richard Nixon?!?!
- The widely known cultural impact of Steve Jobs.
- Ashton Kutcher's appeal with young adult audiences.
- The film's release delay to a busier month gives the impression of it being dumped.
- Kutcher is far from a reliable box office draw.
- Fans of Jobs and Apple may be more inclined to wait for the forthcoming biopic being pinned by Aaron Sorkin.
- The first film found a large audience on the home video market.
- Adding Jim Carrey to the cast could bring a few more of the uninitiated.
- Given the performance of the first film, it wouldn't take that much for the franchise to build upon its earlier audience, ala Hellboy II.
- The first film was only a modest box office success.
- Jim Carrey, as evidenced by The Incredible Burt Wonderstone, isn't the draw he used to be.
- The crowded market.
- A fairly strong ensemble led by Liam Hemsworth, Harrison Ford, and Gary Oldman.
- Hemsworth is more recognizable thanks to The Hunger Games.
- The crowded market.
- Tech thrillers tend to fail at the box office. Anybody remember Antitrust? We didn't think so.
Notable changes on our forecast this week include The Wolverine (up), We're The Millers (down on opening weekend, up on cume).
Check out our predictions for these and other upcoming films in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Jobs||Aug 16, 2013||Open Road
|The Butler||Aug 16, 2013||Weinstein Company
|Paranoia||Aug 16, 2013||Relativity Media
|Kick-Ass 2||Aug 16, 2013||Universal
|Planes||Aug 9, 2013||Disney
|Elysium||Aug 9, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|We're the Millers||Aug 7, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters||Aug 7, 2013||Fox
|2 Guns||Aug 2, 2013||Universal
|The Smurfs 2||Jul 31, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Wolverine||Jul 26, 2013||Fox
|The Conjuring||Jul 19, 2013||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Red 2||Jul 19, 2013||Lionsgate / Summit
|R.I.P.D.||Jul 19, 2013||Universal
|Turbo||Jul 17, 2013||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|Grown Ups 2||Jul 12, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|Pacific Rim||Jul 12, 2013||Warner Bros.
|Despicable Me 2||Jul 3, 2013||Universal
|The Lone Ranger||Jul 3, 2013||Disney
|White House Down||Jun 28, 2013||Sony / Columbia
|The Heat||Jun 28, 2013||Fox
* = 3-day weekend (Fri-Sun)
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.