Weekend Forecast: 'Non-Stop' & 'Son of God'
Featured Stories - on February 26, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
The final day of February will see the release of two new films: Non-Stop and Son of God.
Son of God
- Various outlets report that pre-sales have been very strong, with over 500,000 tickets sold (as of last week).
- Churches have gotten behind the film in a noticeable way.
- Concentrated efforts have been made to appeal to the Hispanic community.
- The film is shortened from last year's popular miniseries, The Bible.
- Whether or not the film is appealing beyond church audiences is a huge question mark.
- Will audiences see the movie as a separate entity from the miniseries, or an unnecessary retread?
- Liam Neeson's reliability as an action draw at the box office.
- The film's strong Facebook and Flixster activity.
- Enough has time passed since Lone Survivor, including a number of misfires, that action fans may be ready for something new.
- Following the modest word of mouth over Taken 2 and The Grey, might Neeson's goodwill have declined slightly?
- If Son of God does prove to break out, it could hinder Non-Stop to a certain, albeit minimal, extent.
Check out our forecast for the weekend's top 10 in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend of 2/28-3/2/14||Domestic Total through Sunday, March 2|
|Non-Stop (2014)||Feb 28, 2014||Universal
|The LEGO Movie||Feb 7, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Son of God||Feb 28, 2014||Fox
|3 Days to Kill||Feb 21, 2014||Relativity Media
|RoboCop (2014)||Feb 12, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|Pompeii||Feb 21, 2014||Sony / TriStar
|The Monuments Men||Feb 7, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|About Last Night||Feb 14, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|Frozen (2013)||Nov 22, 2013||Disney
|Ride Along||Jan 17, 2014||Universal
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.