Long Range Forecast: 'Dawn of the Planet of the Apes'
Featured Stories - on May 16, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
Following up on the surprise success of 2011's Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Fox will send out Dawn of the Planet of the Apes on July 18. Will the sequel expand the brand or will it be overshadowed by other summer releases? This week BoxOffice takes a closer look at the commercial prospects for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
(20th Century Fox)
- There's a lot of audience goodwill built up from Rise of the Planet of the Apes. The reboot opened to $54.8 million in North America and hung around long enough to finish with $176.8 million.
- The Planet of the Apes Facebook page has been building up likes at a steady pace for the last couple of months.
- Reactions to the first theatrical trailer have been overwhelming positive.
- Apes looks a lot stronger than some other iffy July releases such as Jupiter Ascending and Hercules.
- If Transformers: Age of Extinction overperforms it could have an impact on Apes.
- This effort seems to be more dark and violent than its predecessor. Will that turn some viewers off?
Check out our predictions for this film and others in the table below. Notable changes this week include X-Men: Days of Future Past (up), The Fault In Our Stars (up) and 22 Jump Street (up).
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Cumulative|
|Dawn of The Planet of The Apes||Jul 11, 2014||Fox
|The Fluffy Movie||Jul 11, 2014||Open Road
|And So It Goes||Jul 11, 2014||Clarius Entertainment
|Tammy||Jul 2, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
|Deliver Us from Evil (2014)||Jul 2, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|Earth to Echo||Jul 2, 2014||Relativity Media
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||Jun 27, 2014||Paramount
|Jersey Boys||Jun 20, 2014||Warner Bros.
|Think Like a Man Too||Jun 20, 2014||Sony / Screen Gems
|22 Jump Street||Jun 13, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|How to Train Your Dragon 2||Jun 13, 2014||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|The Fault in Our Stars||Jun 6, 2014||Fox
|Edge of Tomorrow||Jun 6, 2014||Warner Bros.
|A Million Ways to Die in the West||May 30, 2014||Universal
|Maleficent||May 30, 2014||Disney
|X-Men: Days of Future Past||May 23, 2014||Fox
|Blended||May 23, 2014||Warner Bros.
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.