Weekend Forecast: 'Lucy', 'Hercules', 'The Fluffy Movie', & 'And So It Goes'
Featured Stories - on July 23, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
BoxOffice takes a look at the final weekend of July with four new major releases.
- Scarlett Johansson's popularity has skyrocketed among general audiences lately thanks to her multiple turns in Marvel's movies.
- Morgan Freeman's presence is an added bonus for moviegoers.
- Writer/director Luc Besson has a strong resume in the action genre, including Le Femme Nikita, The Professional, and The Fifth Element. He also produced Taken.
- Facebook activity has been phenomenal for an original movie leading up to release, boasting nearly 1 million fans already. Twitter and Flixster buzz have also impressed.
- The slow summer box office leaves an original flick like this wide open for a breakout, especially one appealing well to both men and women.
- Despite acclaim among movie fans, Besson's previous directorial efforts haven't been box office smashes.
- The slow summer box office could, on the contrary, continue its slow trend until Marvel releases Guardians of the Galaxy next week.
- Competition from Dwayne Johnson's Hercules could hinder a breakout for Lucy. Moviegoers have a big choice between the two stars.
- Dwayne Johnson has become a consistent box office draw in recent years, driven by his addition to the Fast & Furious franchise in 2011.
- Twitter and Flixster activity have been fairly strong.
- The source material is popular among its fans, while the Hercules legend itself gives the film plenty of brand recognition.
- Fan buzz has been skewing negative, with an outright call for a boycott of the film by popular graphic novelist Alan Moore.
- Social media activity has generally fallen behind that of Lucy leading up to release.
- On a weekend with a strong option for both men and women in Lucy, this could turn out to be a guys-only flick.
And So It Goes
- Director Rob Reiner should bring out his fan faithful for this lower profile release.
- Stars Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton will appeal well to older crowds.
- Reiner's last few films haven't made much of a dent at the box office.
- On a busy weekend, the film's potential audience is very limited.
The Fluffy Movie
- Gabriel Iglesias (lovingly nicknamed "Fluffy") has become of the most popular comedians in the world through his successful stand-up tours and specials.
- Iglesias' multi-cultural appeal is a major advantage for his first feature movie.
- Even Kevin Hart took time to build his audience in movie theaters, so the same should be expected for Iglesias.
- The limited release will likely hold back breakout grosses.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Opening Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, July 27|
|Lucy||Jul 25, 2014||Universal
|Hercules (2014)||Jul 25, 2014||Paramount
|Dawn of The Planet of The Apes||Jul 11, 2014||Fox
|The Purge: Anarchy||Jul 18, 2014||Universal
|Planes: Fire and Rescue||Jul 18, 2014||Disney
|Sex Tape||Jul 18, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|Transformers: Age of Extinction||Jun 27, 2014||Paramount
|Tammy||Jul 2, 2014||Warner Bros. / New Line
|The Fluffy Movie||Jul 25, 2014||Open Road
|And So It Goes||Jul 25, 2014||Clarius Entertainment
|22 Jump Street||Jun 13, 2014||Sony / Columbia
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.