Weekend Forecast: 'Nightcrawler', 'Saw (10th Anniversary)', & 'Before I Go to Sleep'
Featured Stories - on October 29, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
On the final weekend before the holiday movie season officially kicks off, three films aim to capture an audience beginning on Halloween Day.
- Jake Gyllenhaal has headlined a number of well-received thrillers in recent years, which could add some pedigree to this otherwise low-key flick.
- Social media buzz is solid across Twitter, Facebook, and Flixster, drawing comparable activity as John Wick.
- Early critical reviews are very encouraging.
- As the final weekend before two big releases open November next week, many audiences will likely avoid the theaters.
- Gyllenhaal himself isn't exactly an automatic ticket-seller.
- The dark and seedy concept will likely limit the film to cinephiles.
Saw (10th Anniversary)
- The re-issue's opening on Halloween itself should play well to fans of the new horror classic.
- The franchise boasts an impressive 18.4 million fans on Facebook.
- In the era of On-Demand, it's unlikely that anyone outside hardcore fans will bother paying to see this in theaters again (especially in the wake of Annabelle and Ouija).
- After the first few films, the franchise became watered down by sequels as franchise fatigue set in. It's probably too early to re-ignite excitement in the series.
Before I Go to Sleep
- Stars Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth bring some needed star names to this under-the-radar thriller.
- Twitter activity is respectable with over 17,000 tweets during the past week.
- Unfortunately, neither Kidman nor Firth are major draws in North America, and the glut of thrillers in the market right now will weigh this down.
- Facebook and Flixster buzz leave much to be desired.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Nov. 2|
|Nightcrawler||Oct 31, 2014||Open Road
|John Wick||Oct 24, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Ouija||Oct 24, 2014||Universal
|Fury (2014)||Oct 17, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|Gone Girl||Oct 3, 2014||Fox
|The Book of Life (2014)||Oct 17, 2014||Fox
|St. Vincent||Oct 10, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Saw (2014 re-issue)||Oct 31, 2014||Lionsgate
|Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day||Oct 10, 2014||Disney
|Birdman||Oct 17, 2014||Fox Searchlight
|Before I Go to Sleep||Oct 31, 2014||Clarius Entertainment
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.