Weekend Forecast: 'Interstellar' & 'Big Hero 6'
Featured Stories - on November 05, 2014 by BoxOffice Staff
The holiday movie season officially kicks off this weekend with Christopher Nolan's Interstellar (opening in IMAX, 35mm, and 70m on Wednesday) and Disney's Big Hero 6.
- Christopher Nolan's wide fan base and considerable appeal among mainstream moviegoers gives the filmmaker a brand name appeal of his own.
- Matthew McConaughey couldn't have picked a better time to headline a tentpole pic, coming off award-winning turns in Dallas Buyers Club and TV's True Detective.
- The supporting cast of Anne Hathaway, Jessica Chastain, and Michael Caine should further boost appeal to adult crowds.
- The film's marketing campaign has successfully pitched the flick as a unique event that demands to be seen in theaters, particularly in the IMAX format.
- The status as an original film--as well as opening against Big Hero 6 and in the slightly slower fall season--will probably translate to more of slow-burn type of box office run.
- Social media buzz has been very healthy overall, although not quite on par with that of 2014's big openers so far.
- Will the high-concept film prove too heady for casual moviegoers?
Big Hero 6
- Disney's animation drawing power hasn't been this strong in years, thanks to the success of Frozen, Wreck-It Ralph, and Tangled.
- Families haven't had much to get excited about since the summer season.
- Early reviews are strong, which could boost interest among fanboys due to the material's source creators being Marvel.
- Opening against Interstellar will likely ensure a very limited fanboy audience.
- The somewhat obscure title isn't as catchy or clearly-defining as Disney's recent animated hits.
- Since The LEGO Movie, most animated titles in 2014 have performed somewhat below expectations.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, Nov. 9|
|Interstellar||Nov 5, 2014||Paramount
|Big Hero 6||Nov 7, 2014||Disney
|Gone Girl||Oct 3, 2014||Fox
|Nightcrawler||Oct 31, 2014||Open Road
|Ouija||Oct 24, 2014||Universal
|St. Vincent||Oct 10, 2014||Weinstein Company
|Fury (2014)||Oct 17, 2014||Sony / Columbia
|The Book of Life (2014)||Oct 17, 2014||Fox
|John Wick||Oct 24, 2014||Lionsgate / Summit
|Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day||Oct 10, 2014||Disney
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.