Weekend Forecast: 'The Divergent Series: Insurgent', 'The Gunman', & 'Do You Believe?'
Featured Stories - on March 18, 2015 by BoxOffice Staff
Three new films are set to open in wide release this weekend. Our analysis:
The Divergent Series: Insurgent
- Last year's first film proved to find a solid audience, boasting somewhat strong legs for a young adult adaptation.
- The increased presence of Miles Teller in the trailers could be an asset thanks to his recent media presence due to Whiplash and Fantastic Four.
- The addition of 3D and IMAX for this installment should boost the average ticket price paid.
- Twitter and Facebook buzz have shown noticeable growth over the first flick.
- Early reviews are rather disappointing, which could turn off most casual viewers.
- The positive word of mouth for Cinderella might be another hindrance as the two films compete for female audiences.
- Marketing has been hit and miss overall, featuring trailers that often fail to successfully convey the point and purpose of this sequel's story.
- A fairly aggressive ad campaign has raised awareness to a moderate level.
- "From the director of Taken" could have its pull, mainly among older crowds.
- Social media activity is weak, drawing less than one-quarter the amount of Twitter buzz as Run All Night did last week.
- Sean Penn's controversial remarks at the Oscars haven't endeared him to everyone.
Do You Believe?
- Christian-themed movies really hit their mark last year, including God's Not Dead whose producers are also attached here. Will that goodwill carry over?
- The cast of recognizable names and faces should help with mainstream appeal, albeit not by much.
- Marketing hasn't been as strong for this release as other Christian-themed films.
- It's been a while since a faith-based film became a hit; are we due?
Check out our complete forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, March 22|
|The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Mar 20, 2015||Lionsgate / Summit
|Cinderella (2015)||Mar 13, 2015||Disney
|Run All Night||Mar 13, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Do You Believe?||Mar 20, 2015||Pure Flix
|The Gunman||Mar 20, 2015||Open Road
|Kingsman: The Secret Service||Feb 13, 2015||Fox
|The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel||Mar 6, 2015||Fox Searchlight
|Focus (2015)||Feb 27, 2015||Warner Bros.
|CHAPPiE||Mar 6, 2015||Sony / Columbia
|The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water||Feb 6, 2015||Paramount
|McFarland, USA||Feb 20, 2015||Disney
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.