Weekend Forecast: 'Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2', 'Unfriended', & 'Monkey Kingdom'
Featured Stories - on April 15, 2015 by BoxOffice Staff
A slew of new films hit theaters this weekend, with three going into wide release off the bat. Will any take down Furious 7?
Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2
- The first film was a surprise word-of-mouth success among families with its $146 million domestic run.
- Kevin James has gone on to star two successful Grown Ups films since then.
- Flixster activity is trending on par with the SpongeBob sequel, while Facebook activity is significantly ahead of it.
- It's been five years since the original; will families who turned out then still be interested?
- Aside from Grown Ups, James hasn't found much box office success recently.
- Twitter activity, while solid leading up to this week, has plateaued a bit.
- The first trailer made waves throughout social media -- particularly Facebook -- when it premiered earlier this year.
- Horror audiences have been generally under-served with unappealing films over the past few months.
- Twitter activity has picked in the last few days.
- The R rating could limit the audience size as the film will appeal to a large amount of underage youth.
- The unique marketing campaign could leave awareness a bit low for those outside the target audience.
- Flixster activity leaves something to be desired.
- Disney's (mostly) annual Earth Day release has become a tradition among select audiences.
- Families looking for something a little different may opt for this.
- Social media buzz is virtually non-existent, especially on Facebook where it claims just 547 fans... total.
- This is becoming the type of film most audiences will wait for after-market releases to view.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, April 19|
|Furious 7||Apr 3, 2015||Universal
|Paul Blart: Mall Cop 2||Apr 17, 2015||Sony / Columbia
|Unfriended||Apr 17, 2015||Universal
|Home (2015)||Mar 27, 2015||Fox / DreamWorks Animation
|The Longest Ride||Apr 10, 2015||Fox
|Monkey Kingdom||Apr 17, 2015||Disneynature
|Get Hard||Mar 27, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Cinderella (2015)||Mar 13, 2015||Disney
|Woman In Gold||Apr 1, 2015||Weinstein Company
|The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Mar 20, 2015||Lionsgate / Summit
|True Story||Apr 17, 2015||Fox Searchlight
|While We're Young||Mar 27, 2015||A24
|Child 44||Apr 17, 2015||Lionsgate / Summit
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.