Weekend Forecast: 'No Escape', 'We Are Your Friends', & 'War Room'
Featured Stories - on August 26, 2015 by BoxOffice Staff
August comes to a close this weekend with the release of three new flicks. Will any of them be able to unseat Straight Outta Compton from first place? (Probably not.)
- High profile names such as Owen Wilson and Pierce Brosnan give a little help to this otherwise under-the-radar release.
- Twitter and Flixster activity are comparable to that of last August's The November Man.
- Overall social media activity is lacking, particularly on Facebook where it boasts less than 25,000 fans.
- Unfortunately, neither Wilson nor Brosnan are exactly box office draws these days.
We Are Your Friends
- Zac Efron has a considerable fan base of young audiences out there. The question is whether or not they'll show up.
- As is to be expected, Twitter and Facebook activity are respectable -- although the latter trails that of That Awkward Moment.
- Awkward Moment similarly tracked well online and was ultimately hurt by poor reviews (as this film is receiving so far).
- With many schools starting back this time of year, Efron's core fans are likely done with summer movie trips for a few weeks.
- Coming from the filmmakers behind the successful Fireproof and Courageous is a definite strong point in a market that's lacked a faith-based hit for awhile.
- Boasting over 524,000 Facebook fans is impressive considering the limited promotion.
- Grassroots marketing seems to be the driving force here, so it'll be up to church crowds to turn this into a hit.
- Flixster and Twitter movement aren't particularly noteworthy.
Top 10 Forecast
BoxOffice projects this weekend's top ten films will tally $63.1 million. That would represent a 24 percent decline from the same frame last year, whose $82.8 million take was boosted by Labor Day weekend and led by Guardians of the Galaxy and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles ahead of openers The November Man and As Above/So Below.
Check out our complete weekend forecast in the table below.
|Title||Release Date||Distributor||Weekend||Domestic Total through Sunday, August 30|
|Straight Outta Compton||Aug 14, 2015||Universal
|War Room||Aug 28, 2015||Sony / TriStar
|We Are Your Friends||Aug 28, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation||Jul 31, 2015||Paramount
|No Escape (2015)||Aug 26, 2015||Weinstein Company
|The Man from U.N.C.L.E.||Aug 14, 2015||Warner Bros.
|Sinister 2||Aug 21, 2015||Focus / Gramercy
|Hitman: Agent 47||Aug 21, 2015||Fox
|Ant-Man||Jul 17, 2015||Disney
|The Gift (2015)||Aug 7, 2015||STX Entertainment
|Minions||Jul 10, 2015||Universal
|American Ultra||Aug 21, 2015||Lionsgate
Phil Contrino, Daniel Garris, Alex Edghill, and Shawn Robbins contributed to this report.