UPDATED: International Box Office: 'Madagascar 3' Sets Records
on June 11, 2012
The latest from Paramount:
The actual numbers are in and not only did MADAGASCAR 3 beat Sunday's weekend estimate by grossing $76.4M internationally in 28 territories this past weekend, but it also set a number of records within the individual territories.
• In Argentina, MADAGASCAR 3 posted the best opening ever for any movie, live-action or animated, outgrossing the Avengers by 10%, Harry Potter 7 by 16% and Pirates 4 by 47%. Compared with other animated titles, the opening was 38% better than Shrek 4 and 72% better than Toy Story 3. What makes the Madagascar 3 opening all the more impressive is that the film did not open either on a holiday weekend or during school vacation.
• The Brazilian opening of MADAGASCAR 3 was the territory's biggest opening ever for an animated title ahead of Rio, Ice Age 3 and Shrek 4, and also represents DWA and Paramount's biggest opening ever. MADAGASCAR 3 represents the territory's 4th biggest opening ever behind Avengers, Twilight 3 - Part 1 and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2.
• In Chile, MADAGASCAR 3's opening was the third best opening for an animated title in a non-vacation period.
• In Venezuela, the opening of MADAGASCAR 3 was the best opening ever for an animated title and the third best opening for any film, live-action or animated.
• The opening in Trinidad of MADAGASCAR 3 represented the best DWA and Dreamworks opening of all time, as well as the best all-time opening of any animated title.
• In China, the MADAGASCAR 3 opening is the #2 opening weekend of all time for a foreign animated film, behind Kung Fu Panda 2 (RMB 105M for the Sat-Sun 2-day weekend).
• Singapore's MADAGASCAR 3 opening represented both the #3 all-time best opening for an animated title (behind Kung Fu Panda 2 and Kung Fu Panda).
• In India, the MADAGASCAR 3 opening was DWA's second-best of all-time (behind Kung Fu Panda 2) and the third highest grossing opening weekend for an animated title of all time.
• The opening of MADAGASCAR 3 in Colombia was the best opening weekend this year for an animated title and the second-best opening this year for any film (behind Avengers).
• Malaysia's opening of MADAGASCAR 3 represented the second best opening for an animated title of all time (behind Kung Fu Panda 2).
International grosses from June 8-10, 2012:
Madagascar 3: Europe's Most Wanted: $75.5 million from 28 markets. International cume = $75.5 million. Worldwide cume = $135.9 million. Top Three Markets: Russia ($16.5 million); Brazil ($11 million); China ($10.5 million).
Prometheus: $39.2 million from 8,263 locations in 50 markets. International cume = $91.5 million. Worldwide cume = $141.5 million.
Men in Black 3: $38.3 million in 79 markets. International cume = $352.1 million. Worldwide cume = $487.6 million.
Snow White and the Huntsman: $24.6 million from 52 territories. International cume = $83.5 million. Worldwide cume = $182 million.
Marvel's The Avengers: $7.8 million from 54 territories representing 95% of the market. International cume = $824.4 million. Worldwide cume = $1,396,300,000.