'Madagascar 3' Grabs Top International Spot
on June 17, 2012
Paramount reports that Madagascar 3 is #1 globally for the second weekend in a row. The animated flick tallied $53 million abroad from 10,957 locations in 43 territories.
Location highlights from official Paramount statement:
• Russia grossed an outstanding $9.2M, dropping only 41% from last weekend's take and continuing the film's reign as the box office leader. The Russian territorial cume now stands at a staggering $35M.
• In France, Madagascar 3 held on to the top spot, grossing a rock-solid $6.2M, a drop of only 27%, bringing its overall haul to an excellent $15.9M.
• Madagascar 3 also held off all comers in Brazil to continue its run atop the local box office, grossing $3.9 M, only down 48% from last weekend's record-breaking opening and lifting its territorial take to a spectacular $17.5M.
• Mexico grossed a robust $5.2M, down only 25% off its opening, also good for the #1 spot at the box office, bringing the growing territorial total to $15M.
• Argentina posted another #1 weekend, only dropping 34% off of its all-time best opening (all films, all genres), adding another $2.6M to the pot. The cume in Argentina is astounding $7.5M.
• Korea added $2.2M, a fantastic drop of an anemic 10%, bringing the Korean cume to $6.7M.
• In the UAE Madagascar 3 opened to $1.4M from 55 cinemas, now the biggest animation movie in the UAE, Egypt as well as the Middle East combined.