'The Force Awakens' with Record-Breaking Overseas Results ($73.0M Through Thursday)
on December 17, 2015
The Force Awakens opened in an additional 32 markets on Thursday, December 17, opening #1 in each an bringing its overseas total to $72.7 million after 2 days of release. Combined with North America's record-breaking midnight tally, Episode 7 has racked up $129.7 million worldwide. Top overseas markets include UK/Ireland ($14.4M), Germany ($7.1M), Australia ($6.8M), Mexico ($3.4M), Italy ($3.1M), Russia ($2.9M), Brazil ($2.7M), and Sweden ($2.7M). Disney cites these market highlights:
- Biggest single day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Norway and Sweden
- Biggest opening day of all time in UK/Ireland, Germany, Australia, Brazil, New Zealand, Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking), Austria, Ukraine, Slovakia, Croatia, Iceland, Serbia, Chile, Peru
- Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Denmark, South Africa, Czech Republic, Turkey
- Biggest December opening day in France, Italy, Mexico, Argentina, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore
- IMAX records set in UK/Ireland, Australia, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Austria, Turkey, Portugal, Qatar, UAE, Hong Kong, Thailand, Singapore, New Zealand, Chile, Costa Rica, Trinidad
The Force Awakens adds Japan and Spain on Friday. Remaining territories to release are Greece & India (December 24) and China (January 9).
Stay tuned for more international updates throughout the weekend.
Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened Wednesday, December 16 in 12 international markets, placing #1 in each with an estimated $14.1 million overall. Top markets include France ($5.2M), Italy ($2.0M), Sweden ($1.7M), Norway ($1.1M), Belgium ($0.8M), Netherlands ($0.8M), and Finland ($0.6M). Disney cites these market highlights:
- Biggest single industry day of all-time in Norway and Sweden.
- Biggest industry opening day of all-time in Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden and Switzerland (French-speaking).
- Biggest Disney opening day of all-time in France, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, South Africa and Switzerland (French-speaking).
- Biggest opening day of 2015 in Belgium, Finland, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Switzerland (French-speaking).
- All markets are the biggest Star Wars opening days ever.
- France - #1 opening with biggest ever December, Disney and Star Wars opening day. More than double the opening day of Avengers and almost double the opening day of Jurassic World.
- Italy - #1 opening with biggest ever December and Star Wars opening day. Almost double the opening day of The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies.
The Force Awakens opens in an additional 32 overseas territories today and by the end of the weekend it will complete its global release with the exception of Greece, India, and China.